ISLAND 2012 - from Egilsstadir to...

Mit 2 Rädern und ganz unmotorisiert.
ale
Skogafoss-Surfer

ISLAND 2012 - from Egilsstadir to...

Beitrag von ale » Mo 26. Mär 2012, 14:59

Hi everybody!!!

As said in the other topic (packet to Dreki) this year I will finally get back in Iceland for the my second trip by bike.

Overall we will leave the 11th of july (we will fly back the 29th of july) and the road should be something like this:
Egilsstadir, Gragaesavatn, Kverkfjoll, Dreki/Askja, Gaesavotn Route (old F910), F26, Jokulheimar, Landmannalaugar.

Our planning is going quite well, we have already defined many things. We are still missing few info. So if anyone can help me on the following is very welcome :-) :
- Opening of the roads, can I go on the F910 of similar if they are not officially open?
- Jokulheimar from NW

Last year the opening of the road was very very late, so we have some doubts on this point. We are even thinking to a completely different tour in case we are not allowed to go on the planed road, BUT we are dreaming to run the Gaesavotn from some years and we can not wait any longer!!!!

For Jokulheimar, looking at maps, we saw a bridge over the channel north of Thorisvatn and a path (more than one, actually, at least according to http://www.jà.is) throught the Veidivatnahraun to Jokulheimar. Does anybody has followed one of this routes before, either by 4x4 or by bicycle? Is there anyone with info about this road that can help? This will make our road a little shorter considering we will arrive from NORTH. Then we will get out from Jokulheimar from the "normal" road, no problem on that.

THANKS in advance for your help!
Ale
Olaf
Weiser von Thule

Re: ISLAND 2012 - from Egilsstadir to...

Beitrag von Olaf » Mo 26. Mär 2012, 15:33

You've cherry-picked some nice parts of Iceland there!

It requires some really odd coincidences to get such a late opening of highland routes as it was last year. I'd assume that they'll all be open by the relevant dates mid July. If not, I've still heard of several cyclists and hikers who dared to try some closed routes, which was generally tolerated by the rangers stationed at Dreki and Nýidalur, but accompanied but some warnings and good advice, which you should take serious. It's probably only going to be a few critical spots left anyway, which the rangers will inform you about.

About Jökulheimar: As long as you don't try the routes from Vónarskard (which is now closed to vehicular traffic anyway) or across the Tungnaá you should be fine. There is several major glacial rivers, which you should avoid, including Sveðjá, Sylgjá and Kaldakvísl, and there is several lavafields, which will probably be impassible, but other than that: just go there and prepare yourself to explore the tracks for a couple of days. Maybe a search for some placenames like Gjáfjöll and Heljargjá will even reveal some GPS tracks or route descriptions. I'd also assume that many of the tracks will be hard to find on the ground with rocks scattered all over. Furthermore, some of them might be as completely overgrown as it gets in the highlands, so be careful not to roll over too much of the little vegetation you might find.
ale
Skogafoss-Surfer

Re: ISLAND 2012 - from Egilsstadir to...

Beitrag von ale » Mo 26. Mär 2012, 16:44

Hi Olaf,

for the road Jokulheimar/Vonarskard I already checked with the wardens in Jokulheimar and they simply said: DO NOT GO THAT WAY! So no problem on that!
Svedja' is known, so also that was discarted.
the road we are thinking is better shown on the attached jpg. If I got it right it's even the same road you suggested!

About the cherry picking... we are missing just a couple of spots but only because of lack of time!!! Full trip should finish in Skaftafell passing from Eldja', Langisjor, maybe a little detour to Strutur/Maelifellsandur, Laki... But our time is limited and we keep something for the next tour! ;-)

About opening of the roads, I fully agree that rangers should be asked. But I would prefer to leave Egilsstadir knowing that I can go... Otherwise better take a different way. No intention to ride out of "official" roads and only if they are considered passable! With the bike we are already lucky that we can camp wherever we need on many areas (parks excluded)... :-)

Thanks,
Ale
Dateianhänge
jokulheimar_from_west.JPG