Food - what do you eat?

Mit 2 Rädern und ganz unmotorisiert.
Antworten
ale
Skogafoss-Surfer

Food - what do you eat?

Beitrag von ale » Sa 9. Nov 2013, 22:55

Hi all,
as usual I am planning next trip to Iceland even if I have no idea when it might be. There are a couple of roads I am thinking to ride, some F_something obviously! :-)

On point I am discussing with my mate is food.

Food is one of the most important things during our rides in Iceland since our idea is always to stay in remote areas so we also need to bring all the food we need until we can refill it and this can be several days ahead. So our food has to be light, easy to prepare, durable and resistant so to stay into the bags. Our situation is that when we start we have something like food for 8 days. This seems the maximum we can carry with the actual set up.

So I will share with you our average daily food and ask you what you eat. Maybe I can get some nice idea to improve my food for the next trip.

Our average daily food was:
Breackfast with tea, fette biscottate (Zwieback?) with nutella
During the day while riding: crackers, dried fruit, nuts, cookies, honey, cheese (italian parmigiano...), chocolate and some muesli energy bar (this ones comes from LIDL, very cheap and tasty!)
Dinner: salami, crackers and some risotto (in italy we have bags with dried rice for 2 already with sauce, you just need to put in the pot with water and it's ready in 15' from boiling of the water)

One thing we are evaluating is the backpackers lunch food that comes in bags. Here you just need to add hot water and your lunch/dinner it's ready. But I am not sure they're the right solution in terms of taste and amount of garbage you need to bring. They even cost something like 5 euros per piece, so not really cheap. In my last trip I had a couple of those bags just for emergency and, happily, we had no chance to use them.

So what do you eat during your trips?
Thanks,
Ale
Blacky
Weiser von Thule

Re: Food - what do you eat?

Beitrag von Blacky » Sa 9. Nov 2013, 23:58

Chocolate, more chocolate, couscous (you can prepare it sweet with milk, sugar and fruits or hearty with pesto, different sauces etc.), 2-minutes-noodles and sauces or pesto, porridge (it's easily to buy in Iceland), coffee, tea, powdered milk, icelandic flat bread, dried fish, sometimes trekking lunch (they are tasty ones, but to expensive and to much packaging), quiet rare sweet icelandic rye bread and caviar cream and much more chocolate.
Island-Radler
Hüter des Gullfoss

Beitrag von Island-Radler » So 10. Nov 2013, 16:11

In the morning lot's of musli in combination with dry milk and honey and coffee.
http://www.dshop.seitenbacher.info/Seit ... e-Rosinen/ AKTION WERBEFREIES FORUM: Suche selbst nach dem Buch in einem Shop Deiner Wahl: ISBN B001K3RDH4! http://www.amazon.de/aptamil-Lebensmitt ... %3AAptamil

During the day I'm drinking these powergel/powerbar stuff in combination with water or classic tea
... and to eat musli bar (the real one, not the one from Aldi or Lidl)

Usually I'm eating in the evening 2 packages of the "Trek´n eat" or classic noodles:
https://www.globetrotter.de/outdoor-kue ... tMode=grid

I know my proposal weight a lot, but you can send (and storage) some small packages to hotels close to the ring road or to the highland huts; ask them, usually there should'n be a problem.
ale
Skogafoss-Surfer

Beitrag von ale » Di 12. Nov 2013, 23:13

Thanks for sharing your food style!!!

Interesting, very interesting.

I will think about your foods and see what I can add/change to my list.

One idea I am evaluating is to use only packages of "trek'n eat" or similar for the evenings. In this way the fire is needed only to boil water and this results in less equipment to bring (only 1 pot for the water, no need to wash it so no soap) but I am a little reluctant to switch to this food... Let's see.

About sending boxes of food my situation in the last 2 tours by bike was that I had only 1 or 2 huts on my intended route (usually I do not ride on the ring road, there are too many nice Fxxx roads to ride!!!!!!) and there I managed to send 1 box of food. First time I send to Nyidalur and the second one to Dreki.

Ale
Antworten